Author : Rahul Kumar
Institution : CUSAT
3rd Prize Entry
Wikipedia : Electronic waste or e-waste describes discarded electrical or electronic devices. Used electronics which are destined for reuse, resale, salvage, recycling or disposal are also considered as e-waste.
Did you know ?
- 20 to 50 million metric tons of e-waste are disposed worldwide every year.
- Cell phones and other electronic items contain high amounts of precious metals like gold or silver. Americans dump phones containing over $60 million in gold/silver every year.
- A large number of what is labeled as “e-waste” is actually not waste at all, but rather whole electronic equipment or parts that are readily marketable for reuse or can be recycled for materials recovery.
- Only 12.5% of e-waste is currently recycled.
- For every 1 million cell phones that are recycled, 35,274 lbs of copper, 772 lbs of silver, 75 lbs of gold, and 33 lbs of palladium can be recovered.
Working of EWA :
- Download and install EWA
- Register yourself
- If there are ewaste ping to the EWA support via app
- EWA team will collect the ewaste
- EWA team ll dispose the waste in co-ordination with ewaste management companies.
This would be a small step towards environment.But its need of the hour.When I type this idea I could see ewaste near my table.”A smartphone battery-Let me call EWA support”